There's something special about Windsor, CO. Perhaps it's the quaint downtown area with its brick sidewalks and Victorian-style architecture. Or maybe it's the wide-open spaces that offer endless opportunities for outdoor recreation. Whatever the reason, Windsor has a charm that is hard to resist.
Located just north of Denver, Windsor is a great place to visit. With a growing community and a rich history, there is always something new to discover in this friendly town. From world-class shopping and dining to exciting annual events, Windsor has something for everyone.
Come see for yourself why this town is so special. You may just fall in love with Windsor, too.
History of Windsor, CO
When J.L Hilton settled in the area, he built a small ranch house that would become known as "The Halfway House." It was an inn for travelers between Fort Collins and Greeley until its growth caused it to be incorporated into town status later on after 1890 when Windsor became more than just another pioneer community with hardworking farmers who had come there looking forward to better lives.
Today, Windsor is a thriving community with a rich history. The town has many well-preserved historic buildings. In addition to its historical significance, the town has several parks and recreation facilities, as well as a variety of shops and restaurants.
Food & Dining
Windsor, CO is a foodie paradise. With its proximity to the Rocky Mountains and bountiful farmland, Windsor has access to some of the freshest and most delicious ingredients in the state.
As a result, many restaurants in Windsor focus on farm-to-table dining, using locally sourced ingredients to create mouthwatering dishes. Whether you're in the mood for a casual meal or a fine dining experience, Windsor has something to offer.
Some of our favorites are:
- Chimney Park: Seasonal, gourmet American cuisine served in a refined setting with a patio overlooking a lake.
- Hearth: Airy, industrial-chic spot offering hearty pub grub alongside pizza & beers, plus outdoor seating.
- Cacciatore’s at Heller’s Kitchen: Hand-crafted Italian dishes that combine a burst of delicious flavor and perfectly paired wines that are sure to satisfy.
- Windsor Mill Tavern: The Tavern respects the historic elements of the Windsor Mill while introducing modern updates to the 1900-era garden-level basement restaurant. Distinct food selections and carefully crafted cocktails.
Entertainment & Activities
When it comes to entertainment, Windsor, CO has something for everyone. For those who enjoy the outdoors, there are plenty of hiking and biking trails to explore.
Try some of these:
- Poudre River Trail (Moderate to Hard): Offers miles of biking and hiking. The Poudre River Trail allows access to the section of the river corridor between Greeley and Windsor in Weld County, Colorado. The Trail is a wide paved path with gentle grades that is away from road noise and busy intersections.
- River Bluffs Open Space: (Level Easy): This trail winds through woods and meadows, offering stunning views of the Rocky Mountains. Along the way, you might spot eagles, ospreys, and other birds of prey. The trail is well-marked and easy to follow, making it a great choice for families with small children.
For those who prefer a more relaxed pace, there are a number of scenic parks and golf courses.
Our favorites are:
And for those who like to get their adrenaline pumping, there are several exciting attractions within a short drive of the city:
- Skydiving at Mile-Hi Skydiving Center
- Rock Climbing at NoCo Climbing Guides
- White Water Rafting at A Wanderlust Adventure
- No Worries!! Hot Air Ballooning
Arts & Culture
- The Art and Heritage Center is a hub for the arts, culture, and history in Windsor, Colorado, and hosts a number of exhibitions throughout the year.
- Windsor History Museum features historic buildings from Windsor built between 1882 and the 1920s. The Depot has many exhibits and hands-on activities for all ages and is a great place to start your museum visit.
- Chill Potz is a family-owned and operated paint-your-own pottery studio.
If you’re looking for a charming town with all the bells and whistles, Windsor is your spot. From fantastic restaurants to outdoor adventures and arts and culture, there’s something for everyone in this delightful community.
And don’t forget – Urbanize’s luxurious rentals are available to choose from for your short-term stay. Book one of our Windsor Urbanize locations today and get ready to enjoy everything this wonderful town has to offer!